Tuesday 9 February 2010

Published Magazine article!!! YAY!!!


What a great suprise I had yesturday when my 'Cake Craft & Decoration' Magazine dropped to the floor with a thud. I wasn't quite expecting it to arrive yet, thought I had another week or 2 of waiting. A quick glance of the cover articles, told me all I needed to know,

"MY 1st ARTICLE HAD BEEN PUBLISHED!!!" YAY!!!

March 2010 edition, page 48, 'Get Well Soon' cake, and the added bonus that the picture of me wasn't as horrific as I'd thought it would be (I maybe tall enough to be a model, but photogenic? Nah!!!! lol)


After all the hoo-ha we had with this cake I'm so pleased it turned out to be a cracker in the end!

Visit "Cake,Craft and Decoration" for more information




Inside information (if you're in need of a giggle, you'll like this)

Story goes: The lovely Bob (photographer) arrived at my house at about 10am. After assessing my workroom, the decision was quickly made that it wouldn't be large enough to accomadate us both, and all the equipment needed to photograph the projects. So we went downstairs and decided to set up on the breakfast bar in my kitchen. I was happy with that, although I did feel that probably my decision to close the door on that whole side of the house, and not tidy it, had probably not been a very wise one now.
So Bob set his equipment up and I'd brought my stuff down, or so I thought........
After about the 15th trip upstairs I was feeling quite fit, and Bob had gone past the appollogetic phase and had probably reached the "This woman must have the brain of a flea" stage, as I raced back upstairs for something else that I'd need from my workroom and had forgotten to bring down in one of my recent trips up there.
Finally after all the ups & down's (literally) we finished the 2 cakes. Bob took a quick picture of me, packed up his gear and went on his way.

He was long gone (the next day infact) when I was typing up the instructions to go with making the cakes, when suddenly it hit me that I'd toatally forgotten to put the bandage on the leg of the model! Argh!!
After a quick phonecall to Bob to confirm my fears, we arranged to meet at the NEC a month later, to pop the offending piece of paste onto her. Well as you can imagine, it was very busy at the NEC and as soon as Bob had finished photographing the exhibit's and competition pieces, we popped out the back, away from the hussle and bussle into the quiet of the carpark to start work. Not only did she need finishing, but she needed repairing too!! She'd fallen off, obviously were she'd had to travel straight away after making and had not had time to set. So a first for everyone, Bob, Julie the editor, Chris my friend (both might i add taking photo's of the strange cake making workshop, (the boot of Bob's car)) and me, all outside in the dizzling rain finding the whole situation extremely surreal and amussing.
I've not seen the photo's yet, but I'm sure at some point they will surface for us all to have a good chuckle at.

Then in January I get an email from Julie to say the picture that Bob took of me was not that good and would it be possible for me to send in another. No problem I thought, although I knew from past experience, the camera and I do not see eye to lense (grrrrr), and the chances of me getting a good photo were probably no better then Bobs! lol. Anyway hair up (never a nice look), white coat on (no chance of this complimenting my painfully pale skin either) and with the bedrooms beige wallpaper as my background, I was ready.
I'd put the camera on the tripod and set the timer, I knew from the start that the odds were against me as I raced around the bed, to sit on the chair, before the thing flashed me!!! So after 12 photo's and the 'losing the will to live' look, starting to show in my eye's, I decided that I'd see what they looked like close up, on the PC.
I managed to scrap 3 photo's together were I didn't have a mentally insane smile on my face, or looked miserable. Then cropped & edited them to death, so I didn't look sick, and sent them off to Julie with a note saying "I could try again if needed, as I knew I wasn't the most photogenic person on the planet" (understatement). The note came back thanking me, agreeing with me that they were'nt the best pictures but hopefully they would be able to use one of them! (splutter!!! lol, lol)

Well after all that, thank godness, all went well in the end and my ditzy distractable mind hasn't put Julie off from using my services again. The job got done and we've had a giggle, also lesson's have been learnt. "Have all your stuff ready downstairs in the kitchen, and not upstairs in the workroom" & "Don't let the photographer distract you"..........................

No comments:

Post a Comment